The Kendall Family

The Kendall Family
(back) Katherine, Christopher, Ann, Dwight, Tim (front) Jonathan, Krislena, Karl

Saturday, May 29, 2010

culture shock

Ok, so we have been asked a million times, how do you like living in the states? Well it's different, and its the same. Here is some of the "stuff. Ministry looks so different, feels different, and shoot me if my mouth says "In Haiti..." fill in the blank.

I knew that Haiti impacted us, but I didn't realize to what extent. I'm not sure I fit in here. Here as in, do I fit in here in the US. Why does everything I touch or hear seem so far out of whack. When does culture shock from your very own birth country end?

I've realized in in the "stupid" stage of CS. Everything in the US is stupid. Don't rail on me, I realize its not really stupid, it just seems that way. I find my self rolling my eyes at things people say. Have people really been taught all this hog wash? What happened to US. When did we become such self absorbed, uneducated, no manners, children. At what age can I expect young people to act like an adult? Can I put my family back into the bubble we used to live in?

  • We find that we are a bit on loners, a habit formed from living in the middle of nowhere forever.
  • Electricity in Alabama is not a sure thing..lol And Internet is less sure here than in Haiti.
  • It's weird to get rain in the day time, all afternoon long and there is no hurricane
  • I love air conditioning
  • We still live 45 minutes from shopping
  • We still have a tendency to hang very tightly together
  • Kids in the US say the strangest things
  • My kids are so clueless
  • When did 8 year olds start to "date"
  • Only rarely do I stumble into a store where I am the only person the color of notebook paper
  • Why do people love their cell phones so much? Why are little kids entitled to one? I remember being given a dime to call home just in case something went wrong, whats wrong with that? Come to think of it, where are the pay phones?
  • For all those people that think that Americans are gun crazy, let me say that I've not seen one gun in a grocery store, or pharmacy or hardware store, or multiple guards at the bank.
  • Haiti might be a dangerous country, but the police didn't patrol my neighborhood 3 times in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment